Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fort Lee, NJ: Birthplace of the U.S. Film Industry


The New York Hat was shot in Fort Lee and included in the cast Mary Pickford and Lionel Barrymore.

I know exactly where that ledge is; I used to hang out there during high school. You see, I grew up in Fort Lee, NJ.  I knew that it was the first home of the movie industry before Hollywood, but there was very little evidence of it there.  Well, it's an interesting story of a greedy man named Thomas Edison who created all the technology associated with film making and then ran the industry out of New Jersey with his patent-enforcing lackeys. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE.  All photos are public domain, as best as I can determine.


Fort Lee, New Jersey, was the perfect location for the fledgling motion picture industry. There was plenty of cheap, open land in this Bergen County town. The cliffs of the Palisades were dramatic permanent “sets” that gave rise to the “cliffhanger” genre of action film...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments.